Quality Control Reviews
LSC OIG performs Quality Control Reviews of the audited financial statements of LSC recipients conducted by Independent Public Accountants. The primary purpose of a Quality Control Review is to determine whether the financial statement audit work, compliance audit work, and the associated review of internal controls over both financial reporting and compliance are conducted in accordance with applicable standards and the OIG guidance. The standards and guidance include Government Auditing Standards, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants standards, Uniform Guidance, and the Audit Guide for Recipients and Auditors, which includes the Compliance Supplement for Audits of LSC Recipients.
The information presented below is a summary of the results of our Quality Control Reviews of Financial Statement audits conducted by LSC Grantees' Independent Public Accountants (IPAs). The Quality Control Review are performed by an outside independent consulting firm under contract with the OIG.
Summary Results of Quality Control Reviews
LSC OIG issues an advisory memorandum for all independent auditors and Executive Directors of LSC grantees, summarizing the results of the Quality Control Reviews conducted over the preceding fiscal year. The advisory identifies the principal exceptions and deficiencies found in Quality Control Reviews. The advisories identify any systematic issues. Independent public accountants are encouraged to use these reports to prevent making similar mistakes in audits.
- Common Quality Control Review Findings and Recommendations to Ensure Independent Public Accounting Firms Conduct Rigorous Annual Audits of LSC Grantees — Fiscal Years 2021 and 2022 10/2023
- Results of Quality Control Reviews of Fiscal Year 2020 and Fiscal Year 2021 Financial Statement Audits Performed by Independent Public Accountants 11/2022
- Results of Quality Control Reviews of Fiscal Year 2019 and Fiscal Year 2020 Financial Statement Audits Performed by Independent Public Accountants 10/2021
- Advisory to Executive Directors and Grantee Independent Public Accountants re: Summary Results of Quality Control Reviews (QCRs) for FY2018 and FY2019 Financial Statement Audits 10/2020
- Advisory to Executive Directors and Grantee Independent Public Accountants re: Summary Results of Quality Control Reviews (QCRs) for FY2017 Financial Statement Audits 09/2019
LSC-OIG Quality Control Review Presentations
Enhancing Grantee Audits (11/8/2023):
Pursuant to 45 C.F.R. § 1641 the Legal Unit conducts proceedings to debar IPAs who have failed significantly to comply with government auditing standards and OIG audit guidance.