U.S. Department of Justice Press Releases
Birmingham, Alabama (September 21, 2017) Kelli Hogue Mauro, 48, former Executive Director of the Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program, was sentenced yesterday to five years of probation and five months of home confinement for misapplication of property worth at least $5,000 from a federal program... more
Birmingham, Alabama (April 21, 2017) Kelli Hogue Mauro, 48, of Birmingham, Alabama, and former Executive Director of the Birmingham Volunteer Lawyer Program, has been charged with misapplication of property worth at least $5,000 from a federal program, announced Acting U.S. Attorney Jack Smith of the Middle District of Tennessee.....More
Martin, SD (September 29, 2016) Amy N. Garcia, age 32, was indicted on July 26, 2016 for Larceny and Theft of Government Property and appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Daneta Wollmann on September 28, 2016. She pleaded not guilty to the Indictment...More
- JACKSON, MS (November 13, 2014) - Shirley Mae Williams, 47, former Executive Director of the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project (MVLP), in Jackson, MS, entered a plea of guilty for the theft of federal funds. Williams will be sentenced on January 21, 2015 and faces a maximum penalty of 1 year in prison and a $100,000.00 fine...More.
- JACKSON, MISS (January 20, 2015) - Shirley Mae Williams, 47, of Jackson, Missippi, former Executive Director of the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project (MVLP), in Jackson, MS, was sentenced to 5 months incarceration to be followed by 5 months of home confinement and ordered to pay a $1,500.00 fine. The sentence imposed is in conjunction with the $54,424 in restitution made by Williams on November 13, 2014...More.
- WHEELING, WV (July 9, 2013) - Janel Phillips, age 45, of Belington, West Virginia, was sentenced to 10 months imprisonment, with the first 5 months being served under home detention. Phillips was also ordered to make restitution in the amount of $85,327.74 ... More.
- WASHINGTON (April 2, 2012) – David Wagner, 49, was sentenced today in St. Louis to five months in prison for his role in the theft of nearly $160,000 in federal grant funds from a now-defunct nonprofit American Samoa legal services corporation ... More.
- WASHINGTON (March 28, 2012) - Julie Matau, 49, and her daughter, Andrea Matau, 28, each were sentenced yesterday in Oakland, Calif., for their participation in the theft of nearly $160,000 in federal grant funds from a now-defunct nonprofit American Samoa legal services corporation... More.
Rapid City, South Dakota (September 27, 2017) Kevin S. Lewis, age 55, was charged on September 19, 2017. The charges relate to Lewis, while employed as the managing attorney for Dakota Plains Legal Services, taking money rightfully belonging to Dakota Plains Legal Services...more
17-02 (Fraud Alert) Non-Attorney Outside Employment
17-01 (Fraud Alert) Computer Banner
16-01 (Fraud Alert)- Client Trust Accounts
The June 2015 issue of the Single Audit Information Service newsletter references the LSC OIG Fraud Alert 12-05 on Conflict of Interest Policies in an article entitled LSC OIG Fraud Alert Calls for Effective Conflict of Interest Policies.
Fraud Advisory (15-02) on Conflicts of Interest Policies
Employee Theft of Cash 03/2011
- Download: Hotline Poster
Association of Certified Fraud Examiners' 2014 Report to the Nations
Fraud Prevention Guide for LSC
- The Single Audit Information Service bulletin of October 2014 releases an article on the recently issued LSC OIG Fraud Prevention Guide.
- Cover Letter
- Fraud Prevention Guide